Skills-based finance for young artisans
Limited youth skills finance pilot programme. The duration of the pilot programme will be at the discretion of DBN, however, recipients of finance will be financed for the duration of - and subject to - the agreement between the recipient and DBN.
- Read the frequently asked questions on young artisans finance here...
- Read the caution on ready made business plans here...
Fields that qualify for finance may include (among others):
- Boilermaking, plating and / or welding
- Carpentry and / or joinery
- Fitting, turning and / or machining
- Petrol and / or diesel mechanics
- Refrigeration and / or air-conditioning
- Sheet metal work and / or metal fabrication
Other forms of enterprises not related to technical and vocational skills may be financed under the DBN facility for SMEs.
To qualify for skills-based finance for youth artisans, applicants must:
- Be aged 35 or younger *
- Have an NQF3 qualification or higher
- Have 6 months’ relevant, practical artisan experience after obtaining the NQF3 qualification
- Upon approval, be prepared to attend business training and / or mentorship as directed by DBN
- Develop a business plan and a cash flow projection
- Have registered a business (CC or sole proprietorship)
- Be prepared to obtain personal and business insurance, financed as part of the loan
Finance and use of finance
The lowest loan amount will be N$50,000 and the highest will be N$1 million. Finance will be approved on the basis of a business plan and cash flow projection.
Funds can be used for:
- Operating capital
- Vehicles for business use
- Mandatory life and short-term insurance to be ceded to DBN
Subject to acceptance of DBN terms and conditions collateral and equity requirements may be relaxed. Each application will be treated on individual merit and at the sole discretion of DBN.
Business training and / or mentorship
To ensure sustainability, recipients may be required to undergo business training and / or mentorship determined by the Bank.
- Please complete the application form.
- All supporting documents must be provided. Please refer to the application for a checklist, and ask DBN for guidance on additional documents.
- All pages of copies of documents must be certified. Certification by a DBN Commissioner of Oaths is preferred where possible.
- On acceptance of a complete application, an acknowledgment letter will be issued with a reference number.
- Applicants may be requested to submit additional information, and a return period will be specified. If information is not provided in the return period the application will be closed.
- An applicant may be requested to make a formal presentation as part of the appraisal process.
- DBN will review the application and will inform the applicant of the decision. Approval, decline, or referral of an application is entirely at the discretion of DBN.
* Applicants up to the age of 40 may in some instances receive exemption and qualify for this finance at the sole discretion of DBN.