The main objective of the Bank is to contribute to economic growth and social development of Namibia and for the sustainable promotion of the welfare of the Namibian people by:
- mobilising financial and other resources from the private and public sectors nationally and internationally;
- appraising, planning and monitoring the implementation of development schemes, export projects and other economic programmes of national importance;
- facilitating the participation of the private sector and community organisations in development schemes, export projects and other economic programmes of national importance; and
- assisting in the development of money and capital markets.
DBN does not participate in direct agriculture as this is the mandate of Agribank of Namibia, however it may participate in agri-industry to add value to the produce of the agricultural sector. DBN also does not provide microfinance, but may provide apex microfinance for onlending to microlenders with specific beneficial development outcomes
The ancillary objectives of the Bank are to:
- cooperate with, and assist, other development financial institutions in order to achieve an integrated finance system in Namibia for economic growth and sustainable development; and
- assist other institutions in the public and private sectors with the management of specific funds in order that the development requirements of Namibia may be met.